Modafinl, Armodafinil and Piracetam are the most famous concentration enhancing substances of the century. Whereas Modafinil and Armodafinil are the most notorious smart drugs, Piracetam can be titled as the grandfather of nootropics. All of the prementioned substances improve cognition and serve great value for people who want to boost their productivity and motivation. Besides, they are used in the medical sector for the treatment of various conditions showing impressive results. On top of that, the toxicity of the substances is extremely low. But despite all these commonalities, the substances are almost incomparable on many aspects. This page makes a comparison between (Ar)Modafinil and Piracetam for informative purposes and provides an overview of the differences and similarities.
In order to compare Modafinil and Piracetam, we have to take into account the working mechanisms of the compounds. Even though there is still a large aspect that is not well understood, we do have a clue about the general mechanism by how these substances cause their effects:
● Modafinil and Armodafinil cause wakefulness by increasing the levels of stimulatory neurotransmitters in the brain.
● Piracetam improves brain function by increasing the oxygen and glucose consumption.
With other words, Modafinil and Armodafinil gain their effects from inducing an increase in stimulatory endogenous compounds (originating from within an organism). How this happens is unclear. A plausible theory is that the substances block the sedative neurotransmitter GABA, thereby preventing sleepiness.
Piracetam does not influence neurotransmitters, the signalling molecules in the brain and body. In contrast, it increases the ‘fuel’ where the brain obtains its energy from: glucose and oxygen. The mechanism of action is presumably changing the membrane permeability. This is a measure for how easy molecules can move through the cell walls into the cells. This causes more sugar and oxygen to move in the cells, where it is efficiently used by the neurons to communicate with each other. More energy equals better communication equals more cognitive capacity.
Different working mechanisms evidently bring about different effects. Modafinil and Armodafinil clearly have stimulating effects, serving the user with a profound boost of energy. Piracetam on the contrary provides more subtle, yet noticeable, mind-altering effects.
● Modafinil and Armodafinil boost brainpower by reducing fatigue and increasing motivation, attention and alertness.
● Piracetam makes you think clearly, reduces stress, improves memory and protects the brain against neurodegeneration.
● Both compounds enhance mood, reduce brain fog, increase mental energy and cause an increase in overall mental well-being and cognitive performance.
As we live in an age of science, knowledge is power and medicine is evolving to solve any problem on the planet. It is not exceptional that our search for substances which increase our capacities is developing rapidly in this field. The sector of smart drugs and nootropics is fairly new and the group of people accepting it is still relatively small, but competitive work environments and high academic expectations are driving the field to grow every day. And it does not seem to have a stop to it.
● The recommended daily intake of Modafinil and Armodafinil is advised not to exceed one tablet per day and should be cycled to avoid tolerance build up.
● Piracetam can theoretically be used daily with no undesired consequences, Piracetam is prescribed for disorders in doses of 1500 mg 4 x daily, for nootropic purposes lower doses of 400 to 1000 mg per day are sufficient.
● Both substances should be used responsibly, please consider the advised dosage and read the safety measures before administering any smart drugs or nootropics.
Disclaimer: Our customers are advised to read all information including the FAQ page of this website to prevent possibly harmful situations.
Modafinil and Piracetam may cause mild side effects, although these are uncommon at low doses. Decreasing the dosage can usually mitigate undesired side effects.
● Both Modafinil and Piracetam may cause headache, nervousness and sleeplessness if used improperly.
Side effects can usually be countered by reducing the dosage, staying hydrated and making sure you provide your brain of enough energy to consume. We cannot stress enough that these substances should be accompanied by a healthy lifestyle.
Scientist have yet to discover why these simple molecules are so beneficial for improving our brain’s abilities. As for the safety of the compounds, it is believed that the toxicity is very low and the potential for addiction is close to zero. Fortunately, the toxicity is easy to examine. Animal models and clinical trials have proven the harmlessness of the substances in abundance, even at very high overdoses.
● Piracetam, Modafinil and Armodafinil are safe compounds. The toxicity is very low and there is no risk for dependency or abuse.